April 1st – 30th, 2018 EAT.VOTE.WIN.
Event Details, Participants, Partners, and Prize Sponsors
The Bull City Vegan Challenge (BCVC) is a popular month-long contest challenging local Durham chefs to add a plant-based (vegan) entrée to their menu – with an optional appetizer or dessert. Customers try the dish and vote on the best in several categories. In 2018, 10 restaurants competed. Winners were announced at the Awards & After-Party on May 5th. A full list of the winners is here.
The Challenge was started in 2010 and supports local restaurants while making more room at the table for everyone – vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, omnivore alike. It is organized entirely by local volunteers.
Learn more below, including about prizes and community partners! Everyone had a chance to win – chefs and diners! Our Facebook and Instagram pages have regular updates and prize announcements. We also hosted some related events throughout the month including a Kickoff Party at Arcana, food sampling at the Durham Farmers Market, and Awards Party at Fillaree.
Click each restaurant logo for menu item descriptions, photos of dishes and chefs
|Dos Perros||Grub||Counting House|
|Unscripted||Jack Tar Diner||Parizade|
How Do I Participate and Vote?
It’s easy. Go to the participating restaurants throughout April. Order the #BullCityVegan dishes. Then vote.
- GO to one of the participating restaurants in April.
- ORDER the vegan challenge dish(es) – the server should know and/or listed on the specials board, but if not – let us know! To view all the options, click on each restaurant logo above.
- PASSPORT You’ll have the opportunity to check in for each restaurant, and anyone who tries all 10 vegan challenge restaurants is entered to win a prize! Once you’ve visited all 10 restaurants send us a screen shot to be entered! Each of the 10 restaurants have been supplied with passport cards – just ask your server if you don’t already have one. Get your server to initial next to the restaurant name on the passport.
- SHARE. Snap a photo of the dish and share your experience on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram. You will be entered to win a prize if your photo is selected. You’ll need to tag us and use #bullcityvegan – and be sure the photo does not have privacy restrictions. If it’s not public, we can’t see it. We will have various prizes throughout the month so share pics early and share often!
- VOTE. Update: Voting for the 2018 Bull City Vegan Challenge has ended. Winners were announced at the Awards & After-Party on May 5th. Once you have tried as many options as you can and feel confident of your choices for the “best in” categories, fill out your ballot. This is not a scientific survey but we highly encourage that you try as many competing restaurants/dishes as possible – both for the restaurants involved and for your enjoyment!
- WIN. There are prizes for voting, sharing photos, most dishes tried, and more! We’ve got awesome prizes for both voters and chefs!
We are hosting some related events. The BCVC Kick-off Party was at Arcana on April 4th. Arcana is offering a specialty vegan cocktail this month with a percentage of proceeds going to Piedmont Farm Animal Refuge.
On Saturday April 14th, come see us at the Durham Farmers Market from 10a-12p for a vegan cooking demo and free sampling! Chef Xavier Pino will be doing the cooking!
And May 5th is the After-Party and Awards at the Fillaree Factory, for a zero-waste event with vegan vendors, live music, food, and prizes! It is Cinco de Mayo so we will be playing up that theme as well.
BCVC Community Partners
The Challenge wouldn’t exist without the support of our community and volunteers. These businesses and organizations have partnered with us and believe in a mission to create a more sustainable world and to promote and encourage vegan/plant-based dining options in Durham. Please support them as they have supported us!
These businesses and organizations are helping to support this years Challenge through hosting events or offering in-kind services. We offer them a huge amount of thanks!
BCVC Prize Sponsors
Chefs and diners alike will have a chance to win several prizes donated by these awesome companies!
You must be logged in to post a comment.